Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Underlayment over old pine floor before reflooring

Old 08-15-08, 04:31 PM

Posted this on the wood flooring forum with no response, so I thought I'd try you guys. Any advice?

Still planning out my flooring project. Situation is an late 1800's New Orleans home with a worn out pine floor on joists, no underlayment. The floor is structurally sound, but I have some levelling and smoothing to do because of cupping and some out of level joists.

Don't want to completely rip out the existing floor and go with a normal underlayment (living in the house and would cause major disruption). Research tells me that I can add an underlayment over the existing (levelled and smoothed) pine floor and then go over that with flooring.

Some sources say 1/4" is okay, others recommend 3/8" or 1/2". I'd prefer the thinner 1/4" to keep the floor height change to a minimum, but don't want problems later on either.

If I go with a 1/4", is there a specific type I should use? I've seen that luan is not recommended.

Also, tell me if I'm barking up the wrong tree and should bite the bullet on the thicker underlayment.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-08, 07:06 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Before you decide on that, look carefully to see if there is any movement at all when you walk on the pine. Does it move at all? Do you hear any squeaks. If so, I would use some decking screws to secure it. After that, I would go with at least 3/8 plywood, which is only an 1/8 of an inch thicker than a 1/4.

Old 08-16-08, 04:45 AM
1/4" Luan is used all of the time for underlayment. You should be fine using it. Make sure the old floor is tight and you fasten it very well.

Old 08-20-08, 04:47 PM
Sorry for the delay in responding, been away for a couple of days. Thanks for the replies and advice.