Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

steel 2x4 to supprort stacked stone over fireplace

steel 2x4 to supprort stacked stone over fireplace

Old 08-30-08, 05:34 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation steel 2x4 to supprort stacked stone over fireplace

We are putting in a wood burning fireplace and the manufacturer recommends steel 2x4 above the firplace door. The framed part (where the steel will go) to the ceiling is about 7 ft with a steel double header at the top of the firebox. My question is, will the steel 2x4s be able to support the cement board and cultered stacked stone? I can send a picture if possible.

Old 09-02-08, 05:31 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I see that you have 40 views and no answers. That's because the calulation of support is very complicted. Short of hiring an architect, I would ask whereever you are going to buy the steel header.

Old 09-04-08, 03:06 PM
B
Chances are the manufacturer recommends steel studs from the top of the unit to the framing above. Most pre-fab fireplace units have large clearance requirements (to combustables) above the firebox itself, thus the reason you were told to use steel studs. Usually this framing sits directly on the unit and has no header. The stacked stone you are talking about is usually attached with thinset over the cement board. The steel stud framing will support this. You can get the studs from Home Depot or Lowes. You will need steel track for the studs to sit in on both the top and bottom. You will also need screws for attaching the studs to the track as well as screws to attach the track to the header and finally screws to attach the cement board to the studs (be sure to get fine thread screws for the cement board). The screws for the studs are 1/2" button screws made specifically for this purpose. All of this material is available at the stores I mentioned.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: