Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

installing kitchen cabinets in closets/alcoves

09-10-08, 10:43 AM   #1  
installing kitchen cabinets in closets/alcoves

Not sure if this is the right forum, but it's about kitchen cabinets, albeit installed elsewhere than in the kitchen. Here's my situation. Two of the three bedrooms in my house have a wall that has an ~84" closet and then a 30"-wide alcove. (The walls are back-to-back.) In one bedroom, the closet and alcove are 36" deep; in the other, about 32" deep. The hall that leads to these bedrooms also has a closet that is basically perpendicular to these closets; it's about 65" wide and 24" deep (basically the bare minimum depth for a clothes closet, I think).

Since I moved into the house 5 years ago I have wanted to have cabinets built into both bedroom alcoves, and I'm finally doing it this fall. It occurred to me recently that in the bedroom I use as a home office, it would be nice to have a 2nd built-in cabinet, "borrowing" some space from the closet. So instead of having an 84" closet and a 30" alcove, I am planning a 30" bookcase cabinet, then a 54" closet, then a 30" drawer/shelves cabinet (OK, maybe less a few inches for walls). All of these will be 24" deep, so I will basically gain a foot of floor space in front, which is just a bonus.

So far so good. But THEN it occurred to me how nice it would be to "borrow" space from the perpendicular hall closet to add another cabinet in the bedroom/office; this would allow me to have an entire 12' wall of cabinets/smaller closet -- basically cabinet, cabinet, closet, cabinet. (I would actually love to have 12' of cabinets, but I think to qualify as a bedroom the room has to have a closet.)

Anyway, this latest idea is where my question comes in. I assume that the hall wall is load-bearing. (My house is basically a long rectangle and the hall runs down the middle; its walls are parallel to the front and back walls of the house.) However, I don't want to get rid of that wall; rather, I want to just configure the space a little differently. Will "digging into" the bedroom wall to "borrow" some of the perpendicular space from the hall closet to create a cabinet in the bedroom take away from the structural integrity of the wall? As I wrote, I'm not removing that hall wall, just re-configuring the space around it. (Incidentally, the cabinets will be 90" high with the top 6" being left for trim/paint.)

I hope all this makes sense. I am really wondering if it will be too much trouble to re-configure the hall/bedroom closets to change the space.

Thanks in advance!

-Karen in New Hampshire

Sponsored Links

CANADA

09-10-08, 12:31 PM   #2  
Hi Karen,

As you are mentioning a modification in a load wall, I am moving your question to the appropiate Forum

NJ

09-10-08, 02:00 PM   #3  
As you are mentioning a modification in a load wall, I am moving your question to the appropiate Forum
Bricks, Masonry, Asphalt and Concrete

09-11-08, 03:09 AM   #4  
My question has nothing to do with stairs, steps, slabs, retainer walls (which are outdoors, right??), dividers, driveways, parking lots, patios, etc. -- which is maybe why no one has replied since it got moved here. Should I try again in a more appropriate forum?

thanks,
Karen in New Hampshire

CANADA

09-11-08, 05:45 AM   #5  
Hi there,

Just to clarify why I moved the post: the K&B forum is not about cabinets, is about K&B projects. As a matter of fact we have a specific Forum related with cabinets in the Interior Home Decorating and Design Center.
However, as I understood your post, your question is related with a load wall, this is why I moved the question here.
FYI, a load wall can be exterior or interior

NJ

09-11-08, 11:26 AM   #6  
Karen

Try the Interiors framing and subflooring forum. This aint the right place.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

OK

09-11-08, 02:32 PM   #7  
Posted By: HeresJohnny Karen

Try the Interiors framing and subflooring forum. This aint the right place.

Post moved.

Gotta love this 25 charecter minimum......

09-12-08, 05:09 AM   #8  
Just wanted to reiterate my question since my post has been moved around a bit (sorry, I must not have originally posted in the correct forum) ... I'm rearranging some space and hoping to take some space from a hall closet to now be in a bedroom. I assume the hall wall is load-bearing (my house is a long rectangle, and the hall wall is parallel to my front and back house walls) but I'm not actually moving it -- just re-arranging some space. (All the details are in the first post here ...)

I tried to re-post in the walls and ceilings forum but I think I got deleted there? (I apologize if I broke a rule!!)

thanks,
Karen in New Hampshire

Search this Thread