Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Sub-flooring water damage question

IL

09-14-08, 07:18 AM   #1  
Sub-flooring water damage question

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this but I have questions which I hope someone can help me. I recently had water damage in my bathroom located on the second floor. When I asked the restoration company if the ceramic floor tiles, soaker tub and shower stall need to be removed, I was told that the sub-flooring under them should be fine once they cut opened the ceiling & wall on the first floor (beneath the bathroom) and placed their drying equipments in the bathroom. When they checked for moisture on the third day, they said that they needed to remove the ceramic floor tile because it wouldn’t completely dry. They then removed most of the floor tiles except for the ones under the cabinet and toilet seat. They let their drying equipment run for an additional day. 3 1/2 weeks later, I had a plumber uninstalled the toilet seat. When I removed the ceramic tiles under the toilet seat yesterday I found mold, and the sub-flooring seems to still be slightly damp. (I’ll find out if the sub-flooring under the cabinet has the same condition when I remove the tiles today). How long does it take for the sub-flooring to dry? Is there a chance that the sub-flooring under the soaker tub and shower stall be slightly damp as well? My concern is that there might be mold there too. The restoration company put up the ceiling and wall on the first floor 3 days ago. New flooring will be installed in 2 weeks.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or information.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

OK

09-14-08, 11:04 AM   #2  
If it were my home, I would have the subfloor torn completely out, aspecially if you are going to have tile again.

Not sure about your soaker tub, since that would require alot of labor, but if you are having your insurance company pay for it, might as well.

If you are having ceramic tile put back in, there needs to be at least a 5/8" thick T&G subfloor, a cement backer board, then your tile. Do not tile directly onto plywood.

Search this Thread