Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

What kind of beam do I need?

09-24-08, 09:11 PM   #1  
What kind of beam do I need?

I am taking out a bearing wall and need to add a header to handle the load. My span is about 9' and the second floor will rest on this however I don't think the roof has bearing on this part so it would only be the floor weight and wall weight up to the ceiling. Question is do i need a glue lam beam or can I just make my own from doubling two 2 x12s with a 1/2" spacer in the middle.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

OH

09-24-08, 09:31 PM   #2  
You will need the inspection and opinion of a structural engineer. Any changes to structure will require the approval of the local building code office and a permit. Codes tend to vary from area to area. What meets code in one area may not meet code in another. Codes tend to be area specific with local codes taking precedence.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

09-25-08, 03:48 AM   #3  
But to answer your question, spanning 9 feet with the 2x12 sandwiched will be fine. You shouldn't need a glue lam, but their strength is superior. Check with your inspector and an engineer to be safe.

09-25-08, 02:35 PM   #4  
agree. the software says (2) 2x12's will do it unless your tributary is more than 7'6" on each side (15' total). If so then be prepared for some bending, cracking, maybe even failing when you put that waterbed upstairs (hypothetical).

Search this Thread