Extremely bouncey floor over garage

Old 10-06-08, 07:58 PM
Extremely bouncey floor over garage

I have an extremely bouncey floor over my garage. I have real 2 x 10 joists that span 14 feet and are 16" OC. The center of the floor is sagging. When you jump on the floor, things in the room shake. One below can see the joists move. Obviously the floor is is weak. Although they used real 2 x 10 joists, they are old, some warped and are notched at the ends to hang on 2 x 4s nalied to cross joists.

I need to fix the sag and take out the bounce. I want to put a new wood floor in upstairs. I know I can cut the joists down the middle and support them with a perpendicular joist(s) and a post. However since this is the front of the garage, I don't want to have a post in the middle of the car port.
What are my options without breaking the bank? I should add I can not use anything larger then 2 x 10's as I have limited ceiling height in my garage. If anything it would be nice to gain an inch or two

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-08, 05:16 AM
you could add joists between the existing ones, or sister to existing. adding a beam IMO would be easier without having to add a post and footing. I dont know what the beam span would be, you left that dimension out, but my guess would be you'll probably need LVL, and at 10" deep probably no less than 3ply to achieve a rigid floor. come back with the beam span and i'll give you an idea of what you're looking at.

or is there anyways you could bump the 2nd floor up a couple inches and go with deeper joists?

Old 10-07-08, 03:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Do these joists have cross bridging or solid bridging between them?