Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Repairing stud with too large a hole bored

10-10-08, 10:55 AM   #1  
Repairing stud with too large a hole bored

I have a 2x4 stud in a non load-bearing wall that has a 2" hole bored through it. (I didn't pay close attention to a helper when I asked him to bore the hole....wrong bit!). I'd rather not replace the stud, because I already have two pex pipes and a pvc drain pipe running through the wall (lower, correct-sized holes).

Is there a way to repair the stud so it will pass framing inspection? I was thinking about sistering 2x4's to either side, but they can't reach the floor (because of the other pipes). Is this sufficient/acceptable, or is there another way to do it without replacing the entire stud.

I have a sketch, but no idea how to upload it.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

10-10-08, 04:42 PM   #2  
You could either sister a 2x4 against it or cut a piece of 1/2" plywood 3 1/2" wide and a couple of feet long and screw it to the side of the stud. In fact you could screw one on each side to hide the hole.

10-11-08, 05:37 PM   #3  
Thank you! I was hoping I could get away with doing that, since it doesn't support anything, but I wasn't sure if there was some framing code rule that prohibited it.

10-11-08, 06:41 PM   #4  
there are also framing braces that nail onto each side of the stud. They make them that are even rated for a structural load.

go here:

http://www.tamlyn.com/index_files/PlatesandBrackets.htm

and scroll down to stud braces.

Group Moderator

NE

10-12-08, 06:30 AM   #5  
I think your framing inspector will want to see the stud braces that Nap mentioned. If you want to do the plywood too, that's up to you, but I bet he'd still flag it if you just did the plywood w/ no braces.

10-14-08, 05:12 AM   #6  
Thanks! That's great. I have to put plates over a couple of areas where the top plate was cut, so those braces are perfect for both. Thank you for the link.

Search this Thread