stabilizing pedestal sink to wall

Old 10-22-08, 06:14 PM
stabilizing pedestal sink to wall

I am replacing my vanity sink with a pedestal. I need to install a 2x6 between the studs to stabilize the sink mounting. When I cut thru the wall/sheet rock I found the drain pipe for the upstairs bathroom between the studs. What are my options to secure the sink? I assume this happens every so often. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-08, 07:13 PM
Group Moderator
Instead of installing a horizontal piece of 2x6, open up the wall from stud to stud and add some short pc of 2x4 vertical framing onto the existing studs on each side of the pipe in the areas you need the backing. It might take a few pieces, and you might use screws rather than nails to attach them together if it gets tight. (I'm assuming that you're saying that a big stack is filling up the whole cavity and you don't have room to put anything horizontally.) If you do have a little room in front of the pipe, add a 1x6 instead of a 2x6.

Also, be sure you mark the exact location of that stack so that you don't accidentally screw or nail into it later. And remember that a recessed medicine cabinet over the sink is also out of the question. heh heh!