Using leveling compound over subfloor?

Old 10-26-08, 04:19 PM
Using leveling compound over subfloor?

I'm about to install tile in my bathroom. I've put down a brand new plywood subfloor, which is fairly level, although I've noticed one 2'x2' section in the corner where it is off by as much as 1/2". I plan to put cement board over the plywood, then my tile.

Can I use leveling compound over the plywood and under the cement board? I have never used it before, but I don't want a non-level floor before I put down my tile. Or should I just put an extra thick level of thinset in that area before I put down my cement board?

What would happen if I tried to put the tile down and it wasn't entirely level in this area? Would it just be noticeable or would it crack the tile or anything? This area is in a corner right behind where the toilet will be so it will never be seen. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-08, 06:55 PM
i would put a "shim" under the next laer of flooring. You say you are going to lay another layer of flooring. I would use a thin wood sheeting to make the floor as solid and level as possible before you get to the next layer. Then your tile job will be much easier.

Old 10-29-08, 09:46 PM
Yeah its ready now. The self leveling compound is for a maximum of 1/2 inch, you can used that if you wish. Or dry pack that coner. Or cheat your tile instalation with the thin set so they dont look to badly out of straight/flat. LEVEL is not a huge deal, but make sure you find out why that corner fell. That may be a big deal.

Old 11-03-08, 05:16 PM
Thanks. If the tile being level is not a big deal, I will probably just pack it up a bit with mortar or use some of that leveling compound. As I said, it will be behind the toilet so no one will see it. I can't even tell it's not level unless I use a level on it.

Old 11-05-08, 01:49 PM
The floor doesnt have to be level, just flat. If you are using cement board, any leveling should be done over the cement board, not under. You can use slc over the cement board. Trying to build up thinset 1/2" under the tile will not work. Thinset is made for maximum 1/4" buildup, and if used in thicker applications, the tile will sink into the thinset as it sets up. Your options are to either remove the subfloor and fix the problem, or level over the cement board.

Old 11-05-08, 02:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Low spot in floor

Just remember any water on the floor will end up sitting as a puddle in the low spot.

Old 11-06-08, 04:45 AM
What low spot. His objective should be to wind up with a flat floor.

Old 11-06-08, 01:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I was responding to this post of his in which it sounds like he's not going to level it out.
Originally Posted by Spooksmcgee View Post
Thanks. If the tile being level is not a big deal, I will probably just pack it up a bit with mortar or use some of that leveling compound. As I said, it will be behind the toilet so no one will see it. I can't even tell it's not level unless I use a level on it.