maximum height of studs

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-08, 05:58 AM
maximum height of studs

hello all, im in the process of making a room in an industrial type of building, the walls i want to build have to be 12 feet high.
is there a code for the stud size and height? can i make a 12 foot high wall using 2x4 x12 foot studs, or do i have to make a 8 foot wall and join a 4 foot stud wall on top of the 8 foot high wall? the walls are concrete. there will be drywall as a finished wall covering. thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-08, 08:01 AM
without flipping through code books, i'm relatively sure that you can frame a 2x4 wall 12' in height. The only problem you might run into would be if the new space is of different use classification than the rest of the building. and depending on what the building is used for, industrial uses are typical classified as hazardous and the codes more stringent. in which case you would need to design for specific flame spread minimums, and egress could be a concern as well, depending on the scale, position, layout of your project. basically, it wouldn't be a bad idea to flip through the international existing building code. be prepared to re-read things 5 and 6 times, the language can be a little cumbersome. or if thats not your idea of fun, go have a chat with your local building guys.

Old 10-28-08, 09:10 AM
I'm pretty sure you will be required to use steel studs and conduit, rather than wood studs and regular wire runs, but I don't see a problem with the height.

Old 10-28-08, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
I'm pretty sure you will be required to use steel studs and conduit, rather than wood studs and regular wire runs, but I don't see a problem with the height.
welli guess if thats the case ill have to make 2 seperate wall sections, one, 8 feet high and the other, 2 feet high, because the longest i see is 10 feet lengths,i will have to lag them together.

Old 10-28-08, 11:20 AM
Hi Rough and welcome,

Yes you can use 2x4x12 studs for the walls you are talking about. But, as Pendragon says the code probably requires that you use steel studs since it is a commercial building. You should check the code in your area but you should also check with your insurance company. They may require you to use steel even if the codes do not. I would find a supply company that sells 12' studs. I do not reccomend building a wall on top of another wall. This would not be very stable.

Good Luck

Old 10-28-08, 02:41 PM
i think that i will use the steel studs system, but the big box store only sells 10 foot lenghts, if anyone in the toronto gta (brampton) area can give me a name of a supplier i would be gratefull

Old 10-29-08, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by rough View Post
i think that i will use the steel studs system, but the big box store only sells 10 foot lenghts, if anyone in the toronto gta (brampton) area can give me a name of a supplier i would be gratefull
Arrlen Acoustic supply, its by the airport.
or use 2' of track to scab and 6 kellys, alternate top and bottom.
or two walls stacked. Its a dry wall curtain not a structual bearing wall.
Make sure you find out if it needs to be fire rated and taped. If so 5/8 and paper tape only.

Old 10-29-08, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
NO. It is still permissable to use wood, its just not as fast, so its stupid in many aplications. And conduit is not necessary, BX is the standard in Ontario at least.

Old 10-30-08, 05:41 AM
unless you get ahold of a code book or talk to your building guys, we can't really tell you if it is permitted to use wood or steel. it depends on a lot of things. I.E. the construction and use type of the existing building, sprinklered or non, use type of new room whether incidental, accessory, or another use type all together, and square ftg. these factors will determine if you are able to easily use combustible materials (wood studs) or non (steel), type X, blah blah blah....i know i know code talk is very intriguing. but hell for all we know, your putting a blast furnace in there.

Closed Thread