Fixing Squeaky Floors

Old 11-01-08, 07:34 PM
Fixing Squeaky Floors

I currently moved into an older house, that has wood floors in the living room, as well as in the two main level bedrooms. I am planning on putting carpet in all of these rooms. The floor throughout all of these rooms is extremely squeaky. If I put down a layer of OSB or Plywood, and screw it down into the joists before laying the carpet, will that help with the squeakiness? If so would there be a better type of plywood to use for this? Or is there something else I should do? Thanks a lot for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-08, 01:41 PM
If the basement is not finished, it is easier to glue a 2x to the side/bottom of subflooring on every joist.Then you wont have to destroy the hardwood flooring, at some point maybe you'lll want to refinnish this flooring.

Old 11-02-08, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the reply. I would like to do this without ruining the floor. So when I do the 2x, can I glue it to the bottom of the sub-flooring, then screw it into the side of the joist? Thanks again.

Old 11-04-08, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by kory12 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I would like to do this without ruining the floor. So when I do the 2x, can I glue it to the bottom of the sub-flooring, then screw it into the side of the joist? Thanks again.
That is correct. But if you are going to lay some ply(sounds sexy) do so before you glue/nail or screw from below. Put glue on both the top and side, its not expensive. Carpenters glue will do fine, PL is great but messy and toxic as all hell.