Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Help - Support Beams coming apart

11-02-08, 07:44 AM   #1  
Help - Support Beams coming apart

A couple of weeks ago we had a plumber dig up pipes in our laundry room and they had to jack through the concrete floor. We think that the shaking impacted two support beams in the laundry. One is a square 4x4 (?) and is twisted so that the top faces forward and the bottom is at a 45 degree angle. Another beam is a 2x4 verticle connected to another 2x4 verticle with a 2x4 connecting them. One of these beams has buckled. Hereís my questions:

I have no idea who to call to inspect this and replace these beams. Please suggest.

Is this normal, that the shaking from the plumber digging would damage these beams so much? Iím suspicious about the entire integrity of the basement support structure because the previous owners finished the basement and never got a permit. Iím concerned that they did it on the cheap and didnít know what they were doing. What is your opinion?

Is my house going to crash down on me tonight? Iím really nervous.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

11-02-08, 10:42 AM   #2  
Post a few pictures of this on a site such as photobucket.com and copy/paste the HTML code to your reply post, so we can see what you are seeing.

PA

11-02-08, 01:46 PM   #3  
From what you describe it sounds like you have a twisted 4x4 post and a bowed stud or two. This is nothing to worry about and was probably not caused by jack hammering the floor out. Please post pics as Chandler suggests to be sure the problem is as it sounds.

Search this Thread