laying 3/4 subfloor

Old 11-20-08, 06:30 PM
laying 3/4 subfloor

What is the best wat to fasten a 3/4 plywood subfloor over an existing 1x4 slat subfloor for 5/8 solid wood flooring. Not sure which way is the best nailing or screwing is the best way to fasten to the joists.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-08, 06:37 PM
Temporarily Suspended
The only way I would nail it is with an air driven nail gun and ring shank nails. Otherwise, 2 inch screws with a screw gun. No matter what you do, make sure there is no play in any of the slats, no noise when you walk.

Old 11-21-08, 05:34 AM
I would use 8d ring shank nails. Cheaper, easier and faster than screws and just as reliable.

If you don't have a nailer and compressor, there's nothing wrong with doing it old school. IMO a little hammer time every now and then is a great stress reliever.

15# felt beneath the underlayment is a good idea.

Old 11-21-08, 06:11 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Pulpo View Post
No matter what you do, make sure there is no play in any of the slats, no noise when you walk.
I don't think this can be emphasized enough. If the original floor has any creeks or squeeks, they should be addressed now, before you add any additional plywood. You'd want to be very careful to hit the joists as you nail / screw. 8d (2 1/2") would be the minimum length nail / screw you'd want to use, so that the nail would reach at least 1" of joist.