Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Best approach to repair buckling beam and floor support??

Best approach to repair buckling beam and floor support??

Old 12-02-08, 10:05 AM
Smile Best approach to repair buckling beam and floor support??

I have a main 25' cross beam running through my crawl space that is supported by three cynderblock columns. Two of the columns are tilted in one direction making the beam buckle in the opposite direction. This is creating the floor to sag rough 2-3" in center.

I am not sure of the best way of repairing this. My only thought right now is to replace the whole thing, including the supports.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to repair this or any alternatives to straighten or reinforce the existing beam.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-08, 02:06 PM
First you are going to need to get some good temporary supports set up. You can't work on the existing one until it is relieved of it's duty. You'll need something like a good 20 ton jack, a whole bunch of new concrete blocks, and two new temporary beams (one each side). Once you can support the weight on the new beams, you gradually take the weight off of the existing beam. Take it up to where you want it and then tackle rebuilding the old one. You may want to jack it up slowly because 2" to 3" is going to move some walls and doors up stairs. You don't want to jack it up and then find out you can't get back in the house, or bathroom
Hopefully the pros will comment here and maybe suggest an easier way.
Bud

Old 12-19-08, 02:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Buds right!

Also, the questions is why did this happen? Did the footings or blocks fail?

Is there a footing?

Also, I would consider using lally columns or 6x6 pressure treated posts - easier to get a tighy fit under the beam vs. concrete blocks and shims.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 12-22-08 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Removed link. No blogging or advertising.