Subfloor layers in kitchen

Old 12-10-08, 02:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Subfloor layers in kitchen

First off, thanks for this forum. I am very new to this so bear with me. My wife and I bought a 35 year old house that needs repairs and the first was the kitchen. Years of water damage and a mold metropolis have led to us demo'ing the base cabinets and removing the 8 layers of flooring all the way down to the joists, it was like archeology, anyway I am almost finished with the subfloor. After sistering a few of the joists I installed 3/4 osb with both glue and 2 1/2 screws at 2" edge and about 4" along each joist. The kitchen is 22' X 11.5' with the joists running the width. I staggered the seams and the floor feels very solid even if I stomp around intentionally.

My question is do I need to put a layer of plywood down over the osb or is the 3/4 inch osb sufficient? We will be floating a vinyl plank floor. If it is not enough should I put down a vapour barrier then plywood screwed into the osb only avoiding the joists? Or should I screw into the joists as well? We are on a limited budget and I just figured out the water heater is out too

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-08, 02:23 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't add a layer of plywood. As you said, it's solid. That's all you need.