Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How long would it take?

Non-US

01-26-09, 10:58 PM   #1  
How long would it take?

Ballpark figure, how many hours would it take to install 14' lvl beam and two steel posts [bearing wall demolition completed] experience contractor and one helper.
Thank you

Sponsored Links

01-27-09, 03:40 AM   #2  
If all you're doing is placing a 14' LVL and sticking two pipe columns under it I could do that in 20 minutes. I'm inclined to think there's a little more involved.

Non-US

01-27-09, 06:28 AM   #3  
Thanks for reply,one of the steel posts is about 17' long and extends right down to a concrete footing in the basement ,there is also the welding of top and bottom plates to the posts and beefing up one joist.Temporarely shoring on both sides of the wall is also needed.Again I just need a general idea of the time invoved as I woul be charged by the hour.
Thank you

01-27-09, 01:48 PM   #4  
If you have yet to put up temporary walls for support then there is still some demo left to be done. I would think this would take at least a full day, maybe a little longer

Non-US

01-27-09, 09:45 PM   #5  
I figure about two full days and around one thousand dollards just for labor

01-29-09, 09:46 PM   #6  
you could probably figure it like this 30 an hour for the carpenter and 15 for the helper... thats what i charge in missouri so a grand sounds about right if it takes two days but i dont see it taking that long without looking at the job... just putting in the beam if it has something already in place to set it on shouldnt take but about 2 hour if you take into account the setup of tools and the wall height if its 17' but also theres a min of 5 hours on my time

Search this Thread