What to do with the garage.

Old 01-27-09, 06:58 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What to do with the garage.

When my detatched garage was built they put the sill plates almost on the floor. This means that on the inside my sheet rock pull moisture off of the floor. On the outside the dirt is very close to the wood and i am concerned about insects. Is there an easy fix without going through the trouble of adding a course or two of blocks?

Old 01-27-09, 07:34 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Question

You can treat the outside of the garage for termites(I presume that is the insect you speak of).
If the drywall is directly on the floor(I'm guessing concrete?), you could just trim off the drywall a little. Do the walls not have baseboard/trim at the bottom? What are the plates sitting on if not the floor? Did they pour a higher concrete border for the plates to sit on?

Old 01-27-09, 08:02 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No problem with termites yet i did have carpenter ants in the house but not the garage. I didnt know there was some type of preventive treatment.

I don't know exactly how it was done. It may been poured or it may have been blocks. The plates are about 1" off the floor. If i cut the sheetrock short then the insulation is exposed.

Old 01-28-09, 04:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If you have 2x4 plates on the concrete and your sheetrock touches the floor, then cutting off 3/4" or so won't expose any insulation. What Mike was relaying was to keep the sheetrock from touching the concrete to keep it from wicking up any moisture. If you have a 3" flood, you can't help that, but wicking can be prevented. You can, then go back and space baseboard 1/2" off the floor to dress up the cut bottom of the sheetrock.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: