Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How strong is this ceiling

NJ

01-27-09, 07:06 PM   #1  
How strong is this ceiling

My garage ceiling is made of 2x6's that run 19.5' from front to back of the garage. Currently there is the garage door and opener hanging off of it along with a shelf above the door. I have a 7' door and 12' ceilings. I am thinking of adding sheetrock to the ceiling and flooring for more storage in the attic. My guess is the ceiling was only there to tie the walls together and not to support weight. Will i be overloading the 2x6's? Do i need to add a beam to support the center?

Sponsored Links

TN

01-27-09, 07:16 PM   #2  
2x6 ceiling joist 19.5 feet in length are unusual, but they are still to light to support any weight of any consequence. If I were going to store much up there, I would add support underneath. You can put a beam on top if you have something to sit the ends on for support and use hangers for each of the joists.

NJ

01-27-09, 07:57 PM   #3  
I wasnt looking to put to much weight up there becouse i would have to carry it up there. I was more concerned about it being able to support the sheetrock, some flooring and my weight.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

01-28-09, 04:55 AM   #4  
Unless the 2x6's are part of a truss system, they may be overloaded without your Christmas ornaments. The normal span of Southern Pine of 2x6's is 11'2" (24"oc) and 12'9" (16"oc). Not sure what lumber you have.

TN

01-31-09, 12:54 PM   #5  
Posted By: sparky67 I wasnt looking to put to much weight up there becouse i would have to carry it up there. I was more concerned about it being able to support the sheetrock, some flooring and my weight.
You will be surprised how fast things accumulate once there is space and the ability to get to it.

Search this Thread