Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Need to level 1st floor subfloor

01-29-09, 07:52 PM   #1  
Need to level 1st floor subfloor

Hi, this is my first post so bear with me. I have a very unlevel dining room floor my house is 130 yrs old now. I'm basically looking for tips on how to get it level, laser, pen. 4 foot....any ideas? Also, what is the best method of sistering the 2x6's to the existing joists? Nails, screws, do we use tegos?
Thank you
Nicole

Sponsored Links
Temporarily Suspended

NY

01-30-09, 10:57 AM   #2  
I would use floor jacks in the cellar to raise it, then use a nail gun or a screw gun to keep it there. After that you can sister joists if necessary.

01-30-09, 03:21 PM   #3  
depending on the length of the room i would use a string line if its over 8' and then if its in the crawl space id use screw jacks and put some 8x12 concrete block under them and just screw them out till your floor is flat and if you have broken or rotten joists run new ones from girder to girder "aka" beams and fasten them every 2' with nails or screws. You might want to put a little glue on the joist if you can to eliminate squeaks in your floor... f-26 is a common type of sub-floor adhesive

Search this Thread