Anchor Cinderblock to Concrete Floor

Old 02-04-09, 12:10 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have a warehouse which sits on a slab of concrete, I'm assuming to be approximately 6"-8" thick. Because everything is in a high traffic area for heavy machinery, the existing interior wall bases are made of cinderblock (with conventional wood framing sitting on top). However, it's come to my attention that my walls are moving (probably due to some bumping and banging from the machinery - and some shoddy workmanship from a previous owner). Is there a way to anchor cinderblock into concrete, to prevent the walls from moving?

Even if I have to tear the walls down and start anew. What is the correct way to approach this issue?

Also, it's going to be a very moist environment, so I have to make sure that water doesn't end up on the other side of the walls!

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by benlbr; 02-04-09 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-04-09, 12:42 PM
B
Hi benlbr,

I do not know about keeping water out but you can drill down in every core or every other core and hammer in reinforcing bar (re-bar) then fill the block solid with concrete. If the block are solid you can drill into the block and the floor and epoxy the rod into place. Both method may require removing the wall and re-doing it.

Old 02-04-09, 12:57 PM
B
Thanks for your prompt resonse Bill!

I thought about putting in the rebar also. How deep should it go? (I'm just a newbie) I'm also concerned with water creeping up the side of the cinderblock, even though I plan on using sill plate. There's supposed to be a dry space (for an office or locker room) on the other side of the wall. I'm working with poultry on the "wet side", so there's going to be frequent hosing and cleaning going on.

Now that we've anchored the blocks into place, how do we seal it?

-Ben

Old 02-04-09, 01:57 PM
B
The re-bar only has to go in a couple of inches. You may want to pour a concrete curb for the wall to sit on. I know they make rubber gaskets to use between two new concrete pours, but am not sure what you could use against existing concrete. Maybe rent a saw and cut a small trough in the center where the curb will go, then fill it with concrete as the curb is poured. I could not say how well it would work, but it would solve your other problem also.

Old 02-04-09, 02:15 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Wet environment with heavy machinery moving around?

The classic application is the block (reinforced and anchored to the floor) up about 4'. - Anything you want above that. This also gets the wood out of the moisture.

In many agricultural and fod related applications the walls are painted with epoxy to aid in clean-up and health inspections (if necessary).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: