Leveling concrete sub floor with sand?

Old 02-05-09, 06:41 PM
Leveling concrete sub floor with sand?

Recently I purchased a 50 year old 2 story cape cod style house with an addition. Sub level is a concrete. The 50 year old portion seems pretty level and flat but the addition that was added by an obvious amateur contractor or owner has some flooring issues. A room 28x25 with carpet has its up's and down big time. I got a pretty good deal on the house due to this issue, but now I wanna remove the carpet and install hardwood or bamboo flooring. I went to my local flooring supplier and was told I could first use a fine sand to level the floor and place a plywood sub floor over the sand, then put a moisture barrier over the wood and then lay the new floor. I am a bit nervous and a little confused about this. Has anybody ever heard of this? I think the floor is so bad that leveling cement would not work due to how thick the mixture would be. Any ideas would be great. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-09, 07:44 PM
Just so there isn't any confusion, he said put down sand not sand floor.

Old 02-07-09, 07:49 AM
I'd stay away from plywood that isn't attached to the subfloor.

Use a self leveling floor float overlay designed to go over concrete. It comes in 50# bags and mixes like watery cement and can be applied up to 2" thick. Ardex is one manufacturer but there are many others.
You won't need plywood at all then.

Old 02-10-09, 08:39 AM
Sounds better than sand. Thanks