sealing plywood subfloor

Old 02-10-09, 12:21 PM
sealing plywood subfloor

putting down 3/4" tongue and groove plywood subfloor in my studio/workshop. i'm thinking i should seal the plywood on the bottom since the studio is raised. what is the best choice for sealing? does sealing against moisture also afford any defense against termites? does anyone make a 3/4" tongue and groove treated plywood? i can only find it without the t/g.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-09, 02:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A coat of poly would seal as good as anything. It might put a bad taste in a termite's mouth but I doubt it would slow him down any
Will the crawl space have any ventilation?

Old 02-10-09, 02:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you use Advantech or similar subflooring materials that is t&g, you won't have to apply any sealer, as it is impregnated with a waterproofing to begin with. We use it exclusively on subfloors that obviously will get rained on before the roof gets framed and covered. A far superior product to just plywood. As far as termites go, you will need to have proper treatments from the ground to attack them.

Old 02-10-09, 07:26 PM
the subfloor sits about 14" off the ground but the bottom of the rim joist is only around 5" so there will be some ventilation though not a whole bunch. why do you ask?

re; the termites. i was just hoping to kill 2 birds with one stone. the floor joists are all pressure treated which the termites don't like and i was thinking of framing the walls with treated wood as well since it would only run me an extra 100 bucks or so but i'd hate to do all that and have the buggers eat my subfloor up. i'll have my termite guy treat around the new studio when he comes this year, but still every little extra defense helps.

i can only find one dealer of advantech in my area. gonna call tomorrow and compare prices.

Old 02-11-09, 03:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Insects tend to like wet/damp areas. Keeping the crawlspace dry is just one part of keeping the bugs out.

I wouldn't use PT 2x4s for your walls - they have a tendancy to warp as they dry. Treating the ground is your best line of defense.

Old 02-11-09, 03:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
And before you get all the flooring down, to save a trip in a rather small space, be sure to install 6 mil plastic over the dirt. This will keep moisture at a minimum rising up to your joists and subflooring. We're not sure where you live, so the suggestion of venting the crawlspace would apply to mostly Southern Building Code structures. Two foundation vents per side at a minimum so you will have cross ventilation. I like to use the automatic louvered vents (run about $10). That way you won't have to remember to close them in the winter to keep the cold air from freezing your pipes.
If you have proper termite treatment, ease your mind about them eating your subfloring. Termites go to ground every day for water. As soon as they go to treated ground, they die.

Old 06-22-09, 01:08 PM
Woodshop Floor?

Hi! I hope this is the right place to ask this question, but what would be the best product to seal the floor of my workshop. It's a new build with a basement below. I have a 1-1/8" tongue-in-groove" chipboard sub-floor top of the floor trusses.

I want to be able to sweep/mop the floor when necessary, to keep sawdust down. As it is, sawdust will land on the rough floor and be very difficult to sweep. Do I need a polyurethane or is a Thompson's water-seal good enough to do the trick. Are there any brands or suppliers to avoid or specifically use.

Thanks in advance...E207