Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

rotted subfloor under entry door and exterior wall

02-24-09, 03:03 PM   #1  
rotted subfloor under entry door and exterior wall

i just bought a HUD home a few months ago that needed alittle tlc and been doing things little by little. when i bought the home there was no storm door and i noticed some discoloration on the lanolium at the entry door due to moisture.(due to rain hitting the front door and coming in) i have put up a storm door and the leak has stoped. yesterday i took up the lanolium to see how much damage i had to repair and i have encountered a problem im not sure how to fix. the subfloor is rotted at each ends of the door frame, under the threshold and under the wall about an inch to inch 1/2. i have already replaced some of the subflooring in the kitchen so i have some experience but not sure how to get the rotten part out from under the wall???

i thought about cutting it out with my sawzaw but then i would have an even cut but im not sure if that matter as far as gaps and such

Please help lol

Sponsored Links
Temporarily Suspended

NY

02-28-09, 08:53 PM   #2  
Cut whatever you can with a circle saw or sawsall and use a hammer and a flatbar or a chisel to get under the wall. If you can upload some pics to photobucket, it would be a big help.

03-03-09, 06:35 AM   #3  
The best way to fix this is to remove the door from the opening and cut out the subfloor that is bad. Use the sawsall to cut out under the wall without cutting the wall itself. You may find some discoloration on the floor joist and rim board under the door also. If this is the case but they are not rotted away then take some bleach and spray it on the joist and rim board and allow that to dry. That will kill the possible mold from growing anymore or from starting. If you only have to get under the wall by 2" then you should be able to use a maul and and slam the new subfloor under the edges of the wall. When you reinstall the door frame make sure you put a good bead of caulk on the exterior edge of the threshhold to seal it and avoid any future moisture from getting in under there again. I used to work for a company that does this type of work all the time. We would remove and reinstall doors and windows all the time. There were a couple of houses where we would remove the whole exterior wall in the basement and rebuild with with a newly framed wall. Hope this helps out.

Search this Thread