replacing mobile home floors

Old 03-19-09, 12:21 AM
Question replacing mobile home floors

I need to replace my kitchen floor. It is buckled from where we lived before and water stood under the home. I know the floors were built and then the walls set on top. Can I take the floor out back to the walls? I am assuming wood joist are attached to the frame and the flooring attached to the joist, What do I do if there is joist damage?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-09, 04:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

Generally the floor joists are ok. I wouldn't worry about them until you rip up the particle board and can inspect them.

Removing the original floor to the wall is easiest although if the floor is rotten un der the wall, the wall won't have good support. MH floors are almost always 5/8" partical board. Use plywood or osb for replacement. You will need some 2x6s to add nailers, and you can sister a 2x6 along any floor joist that is damaged. You should treat any mold if found on the 2xs.

Old 05-01-09, 06:54 AM
I have the same problem.Is this a easy project.I have lanolium on top,is that easy to replace also

Old 05-01-09, 08:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know that I would call it an 'easy' project but it isn't all that difficult.

After you have replaced the rotted flooring, you need to go over it with 1/4" luan [be sure to stagger the joints] After the nail/staple holes are filled along with the joints, it should be ready for vinyl/linolium. A square room is easier to cover than one that involves a lot of cuts. A floor that is larger than 12x12 will need to be spliced. Personally I'd rather use square tiles and not have to deal with cutting vinyl to fit - if you mess up a 1' square tile, it's no biggie to throw it out but if you mess up a big sheet of vinyl.........