base plate on concrete

Old 03-23-09, 07:23 AM
base plate on concrete

Removing part of a load bearing wall over a slab foundation. The new support beam is between an exterior wall and the remaining, intact load bearing wall. Do the new "trimmers" holding up the LVL beam rest on new mini-base plates on the concrete (I'm pretty sure they cant stand alone)? How is the base plate attached to the foundation then? A) Hilti gun or similar? or B) metal straps attached to the exterior wall base plate (e.g. some simpson angle straps)?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-09, 06:23 AM
A hilti is the best & quickest way to attach the new plate to the slab. The first part of you question I just am a bit fuzzy on but I think you talking about your cripples like under a window or something similiar, they should be resting on the plate.

Old 03-24-09, 07:05 AM
base plate on concrete

Yes, it's cripples or jack studs. They are supporting the weight of the beam so the inspector wants to see a complete path of support from the beam down through the jack studs into a sill plate and then the foundation.

Does a hilti connector rise above the plate because the sill plate will literally be about 3" on one side and only have the two jack studs on it.

Old 03-24-09, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator
Hilti is a generic name for a powder actuated fastener gun. Remington and others make them as well. It uses a blank charge to shoot a hardened nail through the wood into the concrete. Sometimes you need to experiment a bit to get the right charge. I always start in an area where there will be no studs or anything, in case I don't get good penetration on the first one.

Old 03-24-09, 03:03 PM
If the plate is only 3" long you should drill pilot holes and use Tapcon anchors. I believe they are all rated for treated material now but check and make sure.

Bill

Old 03-24-09, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator
Ahh as Bill said..if its really that short..shooting it may cause it to split. I didn't read it right probably.

Old 03-25-09, 06:02 AM
base plate on concrete

That was exactly my issue - I'm sure the county wants a continous and solid anchor I just wasnt sure how to do it on such a short base plate.