gap in plywood subfloor

Old 04-07-09, 09:36 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
gap in plywood subfloor

I had to cut a portion of my water-damaged OSB subfloor. I cut a plywood of same thickness and screwed it to the I-joists. My original subfloor was t&g OSB but after I installed the plywood there is a gap around the new piece and the old subfloor. I am going to put thinset+cementboard_thinset and porcelain tile on top, but what do I do with the gap in the subfloor? I searched but most of the posts were about gaps in underlayment not subfloor. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 04-07-09, 04:53 PM
B
Depending upon the size of the gap you may want to cut a new piece and try again, to get it tighter. You could use sheet metal to cover the gap so thinset does not flow through it.

Bill

Old 04-10-09, 11:05 AM
S
How big is the Gap?

You didn't say how big the gap was.

The plywood patch doesn't have to be completely touching the OSB, but all edges need to be supported.

If the edges are supported and the gap is small, you could just shoot construction adhesive in the gap and smooth it, let it dry and then go with the thinset and cement board.

Old 04-10-09, 11:23 AM
S
The gap is very small (< 1/4 in) in most of the places. In some parts of some edges its > 1/4 and in some parts its about 1/2 in. The edges are supported well. So can I use the construction adhesive then given the varying gap I have? I thought of using a sheet metal but the old OSB floor is slightly swollen due to the water damage so I want to first level the new piece flush with the old piece using some thinset.

My main concern is, is the gap big enough to cause the sub floor to move up and down and cause my tile to break?

Thanks for all the replies. You guys are great!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: