Self Leveling - Need Advice

Old 04-07-09, 07:25 PM
Self Leveling - Need Advice

Hi,

I've got an interesting situation. I want to lay tile in my kitchen. I tore off all the linoleum and luan and found a layer of wood flooring underneath. Ideally, I would tear down to the subfloor and build up from there, but the cabinets are on top of the wood floors and moving them is mission-impossible.

So I'm stuck putting my new floor on top of the wood floor, which is ok. It's not level, so I wanted to put some Henry's 555 levelpro self-leveling compound on there before the concrete board. I read the instructions, and because I have old tar paper remnants on the wood floor (and it would be a huge mess to get off), I can't put the self-leveling compound on there directly.

So now I'm putting a layer of luan down, then going to level it, then concrete board, then tile. I know it's not ideal, but will the self-leveling compound work on top of the luan, if I prime it?

Thanks,

CLINT

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-09, 04:47 PM
Nobody answered, but that's ok. I've decided to do something different. We realized that the floor is flat, not level, for the most part. If we put the seam of the tile right at the doorway between the two rooms, we should be able to lay everything just fine. We might have to smooth things using mortar, but it should be ok. I feel better after realizing that.

Old 04-09-09, 10:06 PM
Hi, sorry no one answered, that's not good! If you need to remove any floor right under a cabinet, there is a saw just for that. It's called a toe-kick saw - cuts 3/4" deep, flush against objects. Remove base, cut flooring, replace with new, replace base. Sweet, rent them at box stores. Be safe, GBR

Old 04-10-09, 03:58 AM
Group Moderator
If you want the most knowledgeable answers for tile questions, including how to prepare the subfloor, your best bet is actually in the tile forum. They can tell you exactly what to, and what not to do. The tile guys don't always read the framing/subflooring forums.

Toe kick saws ARE sweet.

Old 04-10-09, 08:36 AM
Yeah, I didn't see that section until after I posted it, and this was something that kind-of applied to both sections anyway.

Toe-Kick saws look sweet. If I would have realized that such a thing existed, I would have cut my plank floors out around the cabinets. It still wouldn't fix my leveling problem, but it would have made the floor lower.

Old 04-10-09, 04:30 PM
Group Moderator
The guys in the tile forum have a conniption-fit when they see the word "luan" and "tile" mentioned in the same sentence.

Old 04-15-09, 06:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Clintie,

Your bad news is in the tiling forum here:

http://forum.doityourself.com/floori...6978-luan.html

Please keep all question regarding this floor project in that thread.

Old 04-15-09, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
Clintie,

Your bad news is in the tiling forum here:

http://forum.doityourself.com/floori...6978-luan.html

Please keep all question regarding this floor project in that thread.
I just came over here and saw your post. I was going to update this one with a link to the new thread, just to close the loop, but you already did it. Thanks!