Subfloor rot up to exterior wall.

Old 04-10-09, 08:44 PM
Subfloor rot up to exterior wall.

I have two places in my kitchen where it looks like there was some water damage in the past that was never repaired on the subfloor. I also imagine that the rot might also have gotten to the baseplate. These are both exterior walls where this is happening (next to a door and to a sliding window). My question is this: How can I cut away the subfloor to remove the damage against the baseplate and also how can I remove and replace the baseplate in a reasonable way? One is a load-bearing wall and the other isn't.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-09, 10:09 PM
Pictures would be nice.

Do you have access from under floor? You will have to cut some wall material out, to get to the bottom plate and rotten sub floor. Then using a reciprocating saw, remove the bad plates. Did the saw bind when you cut between the studs and plate? Then you have a lot of pressure and need to re-evaluate.

Then cut the floor out, over a joist. Add a ledger to support the new wood, if needed. Replace the wood, wall material, paint, and enjoy.

Old 04-11-09, 06:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hopefully the plate is pressure treated and will have suffered little damage from the water, and since you haven't confirmed it, maybe you won't have to worry with it. If the subflooring is rotted badly enough, it will pull out from under the plate and can be replaced without alot of trouble. Here, again, pictures would help. You can post them on a site such as photobucket.com and copy/paste the HTML code to your reply post.

Old 04-12-09, 11:00 PM
I still gotta open the wall, but this is what the rot looks like under the sliding-glass door:

I will replace the sliding glass door, I think its 43 years old!

Here is the other wall with a door:

(Click for larger)

Old 04-18-09, 10:23 PM
Let's see a picture of the exterior siding at those places. Looks like the siding has been leaking a while. The floor damage is a lot for a small leak, I suspect a large or numerous ones in the caulking of siding to doors.

Is this the weather-side? Be safe, GBAR

Old 04-23-09, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
Let's see a picture of the exterior siding at those places. Looks like the siding has been leaking a while. The floor damage is a lot for a small leak, I suspect a large or numerous ones in the caulking of siding to doors.

Is this the weather-side? Be safe, GBAR
I'll try to grab one. A couple of months ago I got the outside of the house painted and they fixed some of the cracks that were in the Stucco (it looks pretty bad as I recall) before painting so it looks pretty clean now... I will also grab a picture of the base plates on both sides of the sliding glass door, I opened the drywall a little bit to take a peek (forgot my flash-card that day!)

I'm planning, for this sliding glass door, to take the door out and replace it. I'll have to get a 4x4 or something to prop up the frame while I rip out the baseplate/subfloor to replace it as support. What is the recommended approach? Any good books/resources on replacing windows and sliding glass doors?

Old 04-24-09, 01:49 PM
Two story house? Or trusses right there? Basement under, or crawl? Not slab on grade with ply, so not treated plate. Be safe, GBR

Old 06-01-09, 08:43 AM
The house is build with a crawlspace. I haven't crawled over there to check out the rest of the potential damage yet. What should I look for? I think its not rot its just discoloration from previous water damage.

Also, I found another spot on an adjacent exterior wall with some termite damage in the subfloor and above the subfloor in the 2x4 plate for the wall. I'm assuming the termites aren't below the subfloor as the termite report makes no mention of it (I will check though). How hard will it be to replace these pieces? I had a structural engineer (my friends dad) come to check things out. He says that the wood is fine even with the damage. Its wood and all the pieces are working together to hold the structure up so there is really nothing to worry about. But I still worry. For this other exterior wall I'll be removing the door and door frame to replace it with a better storm door. Also Look at my options for getting a canopy or something to help prevent water intrusion (from sideways rain, happens a lot in California)

Old 06-14-09, 08:13 PM
water damaged subfloor

I need to replace a section of bathroom subfloor that is rotten around tub and toilet. I have 2 layers of subfloor. Top layer is 3/4 presswood. Bottom layer is 1/2 or 5/8 partical board. Bottom layer looks ok but top layer needs replaced. I want to cut top layer as close to the wall as possible and remove it and leave bottom layer. What kind of saw can I use to cut as close as possible to the walls and 3/4 deep.