OSB - versus - Plywood

Old 04-11-09, 02:38 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
OSB - versus - Plywood

Making plans to build a loft in my barn. Called Lowes for prices and when it came to the 3/4" tounge & groove plywood for the floor the sales person asked me if I wanted plywood or OSB. I didn't know they made OSB in a tounge & groove so I had him give me prices on each. The OSB was less than half the cost of the plywood. The loft will not be carrying much weight and my joists will be 16" on center. Will the OSB work for my application? The price sounds nice, but price isn't everything.

Old 04-11-09, 03:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'de go with a exterior grade (AC or BC) rated plywood. Plywood can withstand moisture better then OSB and holds a nail/screw better as well.

It's your call. If you think this floor won't see alot of moisture, OSB should prove to be alright for you.

Old 04-11-09, 04:08 PM
G
If the joists are 24" o.c., and you'll be loading it, I'd use plywood. OSB used to not have a water-repellant surface coating, as they do now. 16" o.c. - OSB is fine. When I built my addition, in '89, the driver brought OSB when I ordered plywood. The guy says "This is better than ply". I had used it before and told him -"but it's heavier". He argued the point untill I got my bath scale. 75#- OSB............35#- ply. I should have bet money! Almost all the local builders have used it since then. Be safe, GBR

Old 04-11-09, 05:01 PM
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
And I would opt for 3/4" product such as Advantech subflooring, since it is of a decent thickness and tongue and groove, with a repellent feature regular OSB doesn't have.

Old 04-30-09, 08:23 PM
M
Originally Posted by chandler
And I would opt for 3/4" product such as Advantech subflooring, since it is of a decent thickness and tongue and groove, with a repellent feature regular OSB doesn't have.
this is an awesome product. my vote on this one too.

Old 05-01-09, 04:17 AM
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
It is that. It is nice not to have to worry so much about a little shower hitting your flooring before you get it dried in. Just allow for an area to sweep it out and keep on rolling.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: