Unlevel bed room floor

Old 04-24-09, 09:05 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unlevel bed room floor

I Recently bought a house that was built in 1913 and have started to slowly renovate it. On the second floor there are three bedrooms and a hallway. The floors in the 2 bed rooms show level, the hall way is also level. The third bed room is another story The floor is tounge and groove on 4" x 6" floor joists the room is 9' 6" wide and 12' long. Over the span of
9'6" the floor drops 2 1/4" What can i Do TO level the floor? I have a baby on the way and have to keep cost to a min. I just dont want him to keep rolling to one side of his crib. lol.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-09, 10:22 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
We would need a bit more information to determine what is up or what is down. Generally wood shrinks or yields over time, or foundations crack and settle. Once you identifi the cause and repair if necessary, you can move on to leveling the rest of the house or specific area as needed.

With a very straight ten foot 2x4 and a level one can usually get a good idea where the problem is.

Unfortunately, a 1913 home may have different ideas. Sometimes they were built that way or have been there so long that moving and adjusting is a major project.

Have you noticed cracks around door frames or previous repairs to those areas?

Bud

Old 04-24-09, 11:10 AM
R
out of level

The house was drywalled mabey 10 years ago and currently shows no sign of movement on the first or second floor every thing seems pretty stable i set up a string line accross the floor with a string level and the floor gradually dips to one side to the center of the house 2 1/4" over 9' 6" but the rest of the house is pretty close to level. Can i put in a sub floor by ripping 2x4s to the angle of the pitch then put flooring down and do the same with the rest of the floors so there is no step up into the bedroom???

Old 04-24-09, 01:42 PM
G
Did you pull the string tight?

Was the level in the exact center of the string?

Does the downstairs floor show the same?

Be safe, GBR

Old 04-24-09, 02:51 PM
R
what is the proper way to find the level of a room? I ran a string from one side of the house to the other side of the house through the bed room doors and the house dips in the middle 1". If you just try to level the bed room going from one side of the bedroom to the other side of the bed room and measure from the string down it 2.25" which way is correct??

Old 04-25-09, 12:54 PM
G
That is correct. Starting both points the same place, one drops consistively more, the farther away it goes. Does the downstairs show the same drop? Could you post a picture of the doorway difference? Be safe, G