Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Wooden cedar piers ?

04-28-09, 11:47 AM   #1  
Wooden cedar piers ?

Would cedar piers work on pier and beam foundation if large enough. I am thinking on using 20-25" wide cedar piers buried 3' in the ground, and sticking out 20" to support girders. Would coating the piers with tar help retard rott?

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

04-28-09, 02:20 PM   #2  
First, you don't bury wood. You must excavate and pour a footing in accordance with local codes, and rest your wood off the top of the footing using a proper post base. And where would you find 25" wide cedar posts? You have my interest piqued.

04-28-09, 02:32 PM   #3  
I have 11.5 acres of wooded land with mature red cedar trees, so I have the blessing of abundant logs of all sizes. No need for the big box.

05-18-09, 09:25 AM   #4  
Wood rots. Period. If you want it to last, use concrete and rebar.

But, of course, the power companies use wood poles. So do the railroad companies. I assume you could find out what they do to make their poles last. My guess would be that they are soaked in oils or tars of some kind for a long, long, long time.

Also, I haven't seen termites on a power pole, but then again, I haven't looked.

Search this Thread