Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Need to add wings on gambrel roof trusses

04-29-09, 05:09 PM   #1  
Need to add wings on gambrel roof trusses

This is my first post here, but I know I'll be back again & again..... please bear with me.

I've "inherited" an unfinished project & need help learning how to do a few things that I know I'm fully capable of doing, but don't know the best techniques to do them. This question pertains to adding "wings" to a pre-fabbed gambrel roof truss system to form soffits & facia. The span is 36 ft. so to aid in shipping the wings were intended to be added on-site. You can see the floor for the dormer protruding in the picture & the wings will obviously "match" that. How do I build & attach them?

Thanx!

Sponsored Links

04-30-09, 05:28 PM   #2  
Here's a little closer view if it would help.

WA

04-30-09, 09:46 PM   #3  
Now I understand. That is a cantilevered floor, for a dormer. This site has all you need! At the top, under search-----type in the subject (walls, exterior, eg.)

It will list all the books with that subject at the corresponding pages for you!

Hint: look for Preview.

Home Design Standards Home Building ... - Google Book Search

Be safe, G

05-01-09, 02:39 PM   #4  
Thanx!!!

In addition to your help & suggestions I also contacted the truss manufacturer & they are more than willing to assist me by answering all these questions & even pointing out options I hadn't considered before. It sounds silly but I probably wouldn''t have even thought of them without the advice I got here. When in doubt, try foloowing the instructions!

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions later on though!

Search this Thread