Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Should I make an extra frame?

Non-US

05-19-09, 08:04 AM   #1  
Should I make an extra frame?

I picked up this wall-mounted vanity (sink, counter, shelves) and want to mount it on the bathroom wall. Being wall-mounted, it will not be supported by the floor. The components weigh about 80lbs in total. I need to know what is the correct way to attach it to a wall with these characteristics:

The wall is brick, covered in 2" pink foamboard interlocking insulation. After the insulation, there will be concreteboard or waterproof drywall with a thickness of I believe 1/2". Then tiles will go over this drywall.

My plan is to attach the brackets which hold the vanity up with Tapcon screws. Really long Tapcon screws, so they will reach all the way to the brick through the insulation, drywall, and tiles. Like at least 4" screws. But maybe this is not the right way to do it. Maybe the vanity would fall or just sag downwards.
So if my plan is incorrect, then how can I properly attach it to the wall so it won't tilt downwards, or fall out of the wall or anything?

Here's a pic of the vanity
ShowerHouse.ca - Shower Enclosures, Shower Cabins, Tub Showers

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

05-19-09, 04:39 PM   #2  
Installing tapcons into the wall will probably be your best bet. You do have one plus, in that the drawers on the right and the bracket base on the left will take alot of the sag from the unit. As long as the bracket is securely fastened to the wall, you should have no problem. Just don't modify the bracket or use any method not specified by the manufacturer.

WA

05-19-09, 06:19 PM   #3  
They have no installation instructions on the site. Tried model number on Google, took me to that page. I would put in a 2x8, plus ply, to bring the bearing and lip support to just under the cbu. (at the proper areas) Be safe, G

Non-US

05-19-09, 07:44 PM   #4  
Posted By: chandler Installing tapcons into the wall will probably be your best bet. You do have one plus, in that the drawers on the right and the bracket base on the left will take alot of the sag from the unit. As long as the bracket is securely fastened to the wall, you should have no problem. Just don't modify the bracket or use any method not specified by the manufacturer.
You can't really see it in the picture, but there are 2 brackets holding up the counter, sink and shelves. These items weigh around 70lbs. There are 2 more brackets holding up the lower shelf which is only 12lbs.
So you're saying that even after going through tiles, drywall and 2" of insulation, the tapcons will hold the unit up straight and level? The brackets will definitely be securely fastened to the wall, but to the finished wall, not directly to the brick wall. The tapcons will be going through around 3" of material before they reach brick.

Non-US

05-19-09, 07:58 PM   #5  
Posted By: GBR in WA They have no installation instructions on the site. Tried model number on Google, took me to that page. I would put in a 2x8, plus ply, to bring the bearing and lip support to just under the cbu. (at the proper areas) Be safe, G
I have no instructions either.
I know what a 2x8 is and even have one here to use, but I'm not familiar with some of your other terminology such as bearing, lip support, and cbu. I want to understand your advice without guessing, so I hope you'll elaborate.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

05-20-09, 03:44 AM   #6  
I missed the 2" insulation thingy, so scratch my comments. In the area where you will be placing the brackets, eliminate the insulation and install a 2x8 with the tapcons. This will bring your solid attachment point out closer to the tile. The original method would be too weak to hold it up. With the 2x8 in place, you can use lag screws (which should be provided) to attach the bracket.
"Bearing" means the ability to hold a vertical weight. "Lip support" is the outermost area of the 2x8. You want it just under the cbu, which stands for "concrete backer underlayment". In that manner, you will have a solid attachment medium from the brick all the way out to your tile with no soft void.

Non-US

05-20-09, 06:48 AM   #7  
Posted By: chandler I missed the 2" insulation thingy, so scratch my comments. In the area where you will be placing the brackets, eliminate the insulation and install a 2x8 with the tapcons. This will bring your solid attachment point out closer to the tile. The original method would be too weak to hold it up. With the 2x8 in place, you can use lag screws (which should be provided) to attach the bracket.
"Bearing" means the ability to hold a vertical weight. "Lip support" is the outermost area of the 2x8. You want it just under the cbu, which stands for "concrete backer underlayment". In that manner, you will have a solid attachment medium from the brick all the way out to your tile with no soft void.
Thanks. I'll do that. --------------------

Search this Thread