Connectors under

Old 05-23-09, 05:33 AM
Connectors under

I've just finished framing a garage using Simpson SPT-6 connectors (stud plate ties) per the architect's specs (south Florida). These tie the 2x6 studs to the double top plate and bottom plate. They extend about 10" along the edge of all studs. I also have Simpson header hangers (HH6) at the garage door headers.

My question is, when installing sheathing, window nailing fins, and door trim over the studs, should I ignore the sheathing or window nailing schedule where the connectors are, or should I try to pierce (or drill through) the connectors where a nail or screw is supposed to go?

Thanks!

Steve

Last edited by suobs; 05-23-09 at 07:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-09, 06:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Adhere to the nailing schedule for the connectors, but avoid the area when installing the sheathing. You can drill through and install your nails if you need to get to a corner where the trim or fin needs the support. Just don't make large holes, as it will decrease the holding capability of the strap/connector.

Old 05-23-09, 07:16 AM
Thanks Chandler!

Plus a few more characters to make it long enough to post . . .

Old 05-23-09, 11:41 AM
As Chandler said. Simpson maximum hole = 5/32". Put addition backing, or stud, next to the hardware, to keep the shear nailing continuous. Be safe, G

Old 05-23-09, 12:35 PM
That was my concern - the structural shear function of the pluwood sheathing. But where would I put additional studs or backing that would catch the edge of the sheets? For example the window frames are basically a continuous ply of 3 studs + cripples, and all have connectors. So are the doors - 3 for the frames + cripples + one because of where the studs fell to maintain 16" OC.

Old 05-23-09, 12:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you are 1 1/2" from the edge we won't tell on you. It will hold just fine. That was the extra blocking G was talking about...adjacent to your opening framing.

Old 05-23-09, 06:32 PM
Well I'm not especially worried about it, since I don't see an way to actully meet the edge nailing schedule for the sheathing in some places. I guess the connectors and consistent edge nailing are mutually exclusive. Unless I nail between studs/connectors - does that make any sense?

The blocking - if "adjacent" to the opening frame of a door, it's over 6" (4 x 1-1/2) from the edge of the frame.

Old 05-23-09, 08:59 PM
The only shear required is stated on your plans. This varies per floor and length of wall. Usually, at every corner and every 25'. Windows and doors are not per shear flow except when engineer calls out steel straps at header bottoms, horizontally(to tie them together) and at window sills, horizontally. Minimum shear panel is sometimes 27", 32", depends on local jurisdiction.

If a full panel lands on a window, nail the last full vertical stud as if it was the edgeof the sheet. Be safe, G

Old 05-24-09, 05:36 AM
I'm still confused. All studs have SPT connectors at the top and bottom. The spec'd sheathing nailing shedule is 4" OC PANEL EDGES, 6" OC INTERMEDIATE SUPPORTS.

The problem is that, with 10" of steel connector top and bottom on all studs, it's not possible to maintain the 4" spacing on opening edges unless I go through the connectors.

Old 05-24-09, 12:24 PM
I'd call your local Building Inspector. They may just have you block (horizontally) at the top of the lower connectors, and across the bottom of the upper ones. I have never dealt with this before. The Inspector would know for sure. Be safe, G