Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Another Q about sheathing

FL

05-23-09, 06:37 PM   #1  
Another Q about sheathing

I've seen instructions where sheathing is installed in full sheets over openings, then cut out. Is this standard? To me it seems simpler to cut full height sheets to width where needed and install shorter pieces above the openings. Does it matter which way I do it?

Sponsored Links

WA

05-23-09, 07:52 PM   #2  
If you install for a living, you will use full sheets, then router the hole out. You are handling more pieces when you cut more pieces.

It only matters on the corners, and every 25' or so(varies with number of stories), whereever required for shear flow.

If your window flashing/vapor retarder fail here, the ply would help keep water out. I would rather not have an open joint in the ply here for water leakage.

Every extra cut you pay for twice as many nails, twice as much time. Be safe, G

FL

05-24-09, 05:24 AM   #3  
To clarify, it's one story, the sheets are being installed vertically, and the vertical span is always less than 8 feet. The only time partial sheets would be used is over openings (2 garage doors, 2 windows, 2 swing doors).

WA

05-24-09, 12:56 PM   #4  
Notice wall bracing-----vertical and horizontal joints:

Single Family Residential Construction Guide - Wall Framing Be safe, G

FL

05-25-09, 04:19 AM   #5  
Thanks! I'll take some photos and get with an inspector this week. It's already passed framing inspection, so they must have a solution!

Search this Thread