How to add floor to existing 2 story great room

Old 06-10-09, 03:53 PM
How to add floor to existing 2 story great room

I want to add a floor above my great room which is currently 2 stories tall. How would the floor joists attach? I understand they may connect to a member called a "band", and wanted to know if this would be attached to the existing drywall to the studs behind it, or if the drywall must be removed in order to secure the band to the studs.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-09, 07:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! As you know, we can't see your house, so giving advice on such a large undertaking wouldn't be possible. First thing, though, consult an architect to make sure such a project would be feasible from a structural standpoint. But to answer your question wood-to-wood.

Old 06-11-09, 08:29 AM
So the drywall WOULD need to be removed between the "band" and the studs? That's what I thought also, but a general contractor came over and proposed just screwing the band on top of the drywall, and I had my doubts about that approach. I want to sub out the work myself instead of hiring a general contractor, so I need to be knowledgable about whatever approach is taken. What is a good online source of information for construction jobs like this? I would like to see how the joists attach to the "band", and learn the terminology, so that I can talk to the subs like I know what I'm talking about. Thanks!

Old 06-11-09, 10:47 AM
One of the first things you will need to do, is determine how your current walls were constructed. 2x4, 2x6, fire breaks, wiring, plumbing, vents, thermostats, to mention some. Then you need to know what permits and inspections will be required. I know this is a step many want to skip, however, insurance, liability, resale disclosures, electrical, plumbing, and such are forcing home owners to document any and all work done on their homes. A general contractor would carry insurance to cover errors and omissions, defective work or injuries. Without a general contractor, it falls on you and not your homeowners policy.

Anyway, figure out what you have, develop a plan, get it approved by your local AHJ (authority having jurisdiction), decide if you want the responsibility or a general contractor and get some bids.

Bud

Old 06-12-09, 03:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If the "contractor" that viewed the situation was going to place the bands directly over the sheetrock, what will happen in time when the sheetrock, under pressure, decomposes and crushes to a powder. Now you have a 1/2" gap between your band and the framing to which it is supposed to be attached firmly.
Bud is right on the liability thingy and also on the permits. Don't skip any steps. It will bite you in the behind later on.

Old 08-26-09, 05:10 PM
How to add floor to existing 2 story great room??

Did you complete the remodel? If so, did you contract to work out yourself? I want to do the exact same thing to our great room. We have a 2 story great room, which is a huge waste of space. I am interested in contracting the work out my self, but Im not sure where to start, What kind of contractors to use to get the initial floor up. How much did yours cost? Give me some advise!! What was the span of the room and what did you use to support the floor?

Old 08-28-09, 11:17 AM
I haven't done it yet, but plan to get it done within a couple months. The price difference is astronomical between hiring a general contractor for a turnkey job, versus being the general contractor yourself and subbing the work out. I found that craigslist has a ton of people looking for work as framers, drywall, etc. Of course, you REALLY gotta get references, see previous work, and make sure you won't be screwed around. I have it narrowed down to 3 contractors (subs) and I'll save a ton of money because I know exactly how I want it done - I know I want 2x10s, which will be supported by an attached kneewall (since one end of the ceiling of the greatroom slopes down to the floor). it's 15'x19' with a kneewall somewhere around 4' from one of the walls on the 15' segment, so I'm confident that the floor won't be bouncy.