Sagging Floor in 100 y/o House

Old 06-19-09, 03:18 PM
Sagging Floor in 100 y/o House

HI, I recently bought an old hose and am planning on fixing it up. I'm going to start with the kitchen and bathroom located in the back half of the house (single story, 900 sq ft bungalow). The substructure under this part of the house is a mess. At some point, a previous owner had converted part of this section into a cellar for the furnace and water heater and storage. Joists and main beam are compromised with notches/cracks and the whole thing is sitting on propped up wood or concrete blocks, etc. There is very limited access for any work down there. I'm thinking of going in from the top to make the repairs. I'm thinking of cutting out the floors over the joists. sistering the joists, and adding a new main beam, or two (house is 26ft wide). Has anyone done this or have any advice?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-09, 06:01 AM
Temporarily Suspended
The correct way to do it is to start from the bottom by installing the proper footings & headers which would include the new main beam. Since you have a space problem, is there a way you can open the side of the foundation on one or both sides & slide the new main beam through the opening. Once you have the proper support, you can open the floor from the top & do whatever you want.

Posts some pics to photobucket if you have a digital camera.