My first wall, thoughts, idea, comments?

Old 06-30-09, 05:31 AM
My first wall, thoughts, idea, comments?

After my first failed attempt at "just doing it" I decided to use software to draw out everything. It's come in handy, before I've even picked up a hammer I've discovered and fixed two errors that would have made the wall not fit. My plan is to start building this tonight so I'm reaching out to see if anyone else has any suggestions or can see an issues with this layout.

The door that is going in there is a 32"x78" door and the other whole is for a media rack.

It's none load barring. There was nothing there before and the space behind it is under the stairs and it's like closet space.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-09, 10:29 AM
Framing

If you plan to install a prehung door, check the height and width of the jambs. You need for the framed opening to be at least 1/2 in. wider and 1/2 in. taller than the jamb measurements.

I do not see overall dimensions for the total height and total width of the space where the framing assembly will be installed.

Old 06-30-09, 03:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm curious why you have so many studs to the left and right of the door, that are just inches apart from each other?

Old 06-30-09, 04:24 PM
Generally a wall is laid out 16" on center from left or right. Since you are not extending an existing wall, you get to choose the easiest pattern. Since interior finishing, sheetrock, paneling and such are 4', 8', or 12', you need to have studs there.

Layout your wall from left and right, 16" oc and see how well it overlays with what you have. Shift the openings slightly left or right to minimize the number of studs as ecman suggested. Then your finish surface will start and stop on a stud with the fewest seams.

Also, allow for carpet under the door.

Bud

Last edited by Bud9051; 06-30-09 at 04:25 PM. Reason: add
Old 06-30-09, 04:27 PM
don't you need headers over that door and window? what you have is just a blocking (imho)

Old 06-30-09, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
Generally a wall is laid out 16" on center from left or right. Since you are not extending an existing wall, you get to choose the easiest pattern. Since interior finishing, sheetrock, paneling and such are 4', 8', or 12', you need to have studs there.

Layout your wall from left and right, 16" oc and see how well it overlays with what you have. Shift the openings slightly left or right to minimize the number of studs as ecman suggested. Then your finish surface will start and stop on a stud with the fewest seams.

Also, allow for carpet under the door.

Bud
I was under the impression it's best to have a stud every 16 inches, if that's not the case then I can move around the stuff to eliminate two.

Originally Posted by jtmann View Post
don't you need headers over that door and window? what you have is just a blocking (imho)
I have two 2x4's as the header, I think that's okay for an interior non loading baring wall. That's not a window either, it's an opening for the media stuff(stereo, ps3, etc.)

Old 06-30-09, 08:49 PM
Couple things stand out.

Start with teh left edge as you have it drawn.
Remove the stud between the left stud and equipment rack opening.
Make the studs on both sides of teh equipment rack go floor to ceiling.
Remove the stud below and above the equipment rack opening center.
Remove the stud to the right of the equipment rack.
Verify the rough opening of your door. A 32" wide door generally needs a 34.5" rough opening. Plus verify the height, pretty sure the door is 80" tall, plus carpet and 3/4" trim at the top and shim space.
Remove the stud to the right of the door opening.

Your plan has way too many studs, and way to many cuts for a non-load bearing wall.

I am not sure what your wall ends will attache too, however you should double up the studs at each end, unless this wall is part of a straight wall.

Old 07-01-09, 08:38 PM
Here is another picture of where it's going: Building my first wall, thoughts, suggestions? - DIY Chatroom - DIY Home Improvement Forum Be safe, G

Search this Thread