Patching & painting an osb floor.

Old 09-21-09, 01:33 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Patching & painting an osb floor.

I'm considering installing tongue and grove, 3/4" osb flooring, smooth, shiny side up as a floor for a woodworking shop. I'd like to fill the voids and paint it with commercial flooring paint. I'm not sure what might be the best filler to use for the joints and wonder what experience others may have had with this.
Thanks.

Old 09-21-09, 02:54 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I don't know about decking but osb sheating for exterior walls works best if the shiny side is in and then oil prime and paint the osb - works great for low budget sheds

I don't know how well any filler will stay in the joints. Something like durham's rock hard putty would work well but if there is any movement with the osb - the rock hard will pop out Another option would be to use caulking in the joints.

As for the painting aspect, it would be best to use an oil base primer. The top coats can be either latex or oil base although oil base should wear longer. Most any porch and deck enamel will work well.

Old 09-21-09, 08:51 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The shiny is wax to help in the pressing process, I don't think paint will last with foot trafic. Be sure to post your results for us.
Be safe, Gary

Old 09-21-09, 08:55 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Will OSB even hold up under foot traffic? After all it is just saw mill garbage and glue. Might be OK as underlayment till it got wet but wonder about it as the final floor.

Old 09-22-09, 05:14 AM
W
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
My shop floor was 3/4" OSB for two years until I finally got around to covering it with oak strips. It was unpainted. I had no problems with it except I never could get up all the dust from sanding drywall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: