Pier & Beam Repair?

Old 07-28-09, 07:51 PM
Pier & Beam Repair?

Hi all. I have an old pier & beam house (strictly speaking, I think it's actually block & beam). There are segments of the beams that are rotted and need to be repaired. What does this entail? Can I just go in an cut out the segment ("segment" defined as the piece spanning two piers) and replace that piece of wood? Or do I have to replace the entire biem; i.e., does the beam have to be continuous along the length of the house?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-09, 06:09 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Beams should be continuous. Can you install new piers & beams next to the damaged ones?

Old 07-30-09, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the response. I guess so; but I'd rather not do that considering that the current piers are already settled into the soil. So if a small part of a beam rots, the usual remedy is to replace the entire beam? That seems extreme; of course, I say this not knowing anything about it . . . .

Old 07-30-09, 06:59 PM
Temporarily Suspended
If there is enough room on the pier to sister a new beam next to the current one, you could do that or just sister a 2 x _ (fill in the size) whatever fits. I know an architect who would cringe at the idea of a non continuous beam. I believe it's against code.