Flooring reinforcement/underlay

Old 08-04-09, 08:05 AM
Flooring reinforcement/underlay

Hello all!

I'm working on our new condo, but the floors need some major TLC. Aside from typical 50's floor squeaks, there is a bit more deflection in areas than I would like. There is also a bit of water damage from the hot water radiator and bathroom wall. Here is the current floor, which I believe is red cedar? 1 1/4 by 3/4 strips.

The trouble is the subfloor is getting weak, and this size wood is no longer sold. On top of refinishing hassle, this is leading us to consider new floors. We're thinking engineered 1/2", since it will also cover kitchen floors, is cheaper (1.99 at LL is what we're looking at), and will be easier to install.

I pulled up the floor in the bedroom so far, and the subfloor directly under the strips is 1x4 planks on a diagonal.

There is also some water seepage extending along the exterior wall, and offcourse under the radiator. Keep in mind this is total damage since 1953:

The question is, how can I best acheive the following:
-strengthen the floor
-improve sound insulation (both STC and IIC)
-level the floor
-insulate against water (in case its still a problem)

My opinion is I'll first load a bunch of screws into the plank subfloor for reinforcement, and replace any boards that are shot. Next I will fill in low spots with shingle, and then glue and screw down an underlayment, probably 1/2 or 3/4 TG plywood. This should stop the annoying squeaks for good. On top of that, I was considering 440 Sound Barrier by homasote, but don't know if thats is the right material, but it is within our budget. Lastly, I will roll out black felt paper (or is Rosin better?) and nail down the hardwood.

To reduce water access, I'm even considering wrapping the pipes with plastic so if there are small leaks, they will go in between floors and not spread out on my subfloor. Ofcourse I will have a good old drip tray under the radiator once all is done!

Thank you for any help and insight in advance!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-09, 01:00 PM
By the way, I forgot to mention the wood floor is 5/16" thick, not 1/2" as I said before. It is a Schon engineered, toasted cinnamon.

Old 08-06-09, 08:30 AM
No suggestions? Anyone thinks this is overkill?
-plank subfloor (1x4)
-1/2" TG Plywood Underlay
-440 Sound Barrier
-Engineered Hardwood
I'm personally getting a feeling that the sound barrier is not going to provide much sound supression...After all, cleats will be nailed right throw it into the subfloor. What are your opinions? Is it better to just put a mat under the hardwood floor?

Search this Thread