Framing in an existing patio

Old 08-11-09, 10:53 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Framing in an existing patio

My wife and I are receiving the $8000 stimulus for first-time home-buyers next year and we've been trying to decide what to do with it to improve the equity of our home (we plan on moving in about 5 years when I am finished with school). We think that our best option is to turn our existing covered cement patio into a sun room. Two of the walls of the patio are already framed in by the home and the two remaining walls are 15 feet and 25 feet long. On the shorter wall we will put in a sliding glass door, and on the longer wall we will put in two large windows, and a regular outside door. We also plan on staining the concrete floor and putting in a ceiling fan and lights.

We're hoping to do all the labor by ourselves (with the help of family). My father-in-law is a contractor and will help us with building permits, construction, etc., so we are really only looking at materials costs. My question is this: Are we going to be able to pay for this with just the $8000 we are getting next April or, in your opinion, will we have to save up more than that before we start?

Old 08-12-09, 04:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Plan on cutting the remaining corner of patio and installing a footing to a depth prescribed by your building department. The slab won't hold the weight of a roof and room, since it is probably only 4" thick and will break in time. I see no need for two doors in the room. IMO a sliding glass door will be less energy efficient than a good window, and you will use the walk through door 99% of the time anyway.
You can probably do it for the 8k figure if you do the work yourself, hiring out as needed for electrical, etc. It is an unknown figure for us, as different areas have different cost associated with materials.
Not to be a "downer", but wait on the check and get it cashed first. It may only come in the form of a "tax credit" rather than a check.
Good luck with the reno, and let us know if we can help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: