Pet Odor in Subfloor

Old 08-14-09, 01:30 PM
Pet Odor in Subfloor

We are in the process of purchasing a house that appeared to have been used as a dog kennel. There is a significant pet odor. The carpeting and padding have been removed. What are the options for dealing with odor in the subfloor? Should it be replaced? Can it be sealed? Even with severe stains and odor? Can another layer of subfloor cover it up and seal in the odor? This is a nice little ranch. We would like to clean it up an make it our own. Any advice you can give would be helpful.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-09, 05:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Pet urine will soak into the subflooring and can only be masked. Covering it up won't work well. Products like OdoBan work well, but if it is soaked as much as you say it is, your only recourse would be to replace the bad areas. Maybe all of it isn't bad. Good luck.

Old 08-19-09, 06:00 PM
odor in subfloor

I've recently purchased a home that was prevously used as kitty mill. Trust me, the only way to remove the stink is to take it out! I have removed alot of studs and replaced them because of this. Some areas are only being painted with pigmented shellac. I don't want to repace everything. I have removed a bearing wall because of termite damage. What a Pain!

Old 08-19-09, 11:47 PM
It shouldn't be that hard to pull up the sub-floor, however it could be installed in a many of ways with different materials as well. It could be glued to the beams as well as nailed/screwed. That is the best way obviously, like they have said, or you could use the odor products and then give it a good healthy coat of Kilz oil based primer. If you got the time and know-how, though I'd rip it up.

Old 08-20-09, 06:15 PM
I've heard that white vinegar will neutralize the odor, then air out and use Odoban. Easier than ripping a subfloor out, worth a try in my opinion.

Old 08-27-09, 08:32 AM
Pet odor is a funny thing. You think itís gone, and then it rains, gets humid, and somehow it re-activates. I used to work on foreclosed H.U.D homes, and Iíve seen some very bad urine/feces situations; not always from pets either. You donít want to use a lot of water when you clean, because you end up spreading it into cracks. We used a floor machine that scrubbed, and sucked. We let it get bone dry. We applied the Bulls eye until the wood would no longer take anymore. Shellac products like Bulls eye dry very fast, and you can keep going back over it. You canít skimp on the coating. We also used aluminum paint sometimes. Itís probably best to remove .and replace, but if you go the other rout, rent a floor machine, and donít skimp on your coating. Donít forget to get some good respirators.