Pocket Door Framing

Old 08-26-09, 08:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Pocket Door Framing

Is it possible to install a Pocket Door where two walls intersect. I know it's hard to say without seeing it. Basically I have a small bathroom in the master bedroom. It has a normal door installed. To the left of the door frame is an intersecting interior wall. To the right is an intersecting exterior wall. I would like the pocket door to slide to the right, going thru the place where the exterior wall intersects.
Here's a crude drawing of what I want to do:
(exterior wall is the 2 vertical lines)
_____________ | |________________
door here | Pocket here
__________|______________________

You can see where the exterior wall meets the pocket there would be a double 2x4 in the wall (exterior wall is nailed to this) Can I eliminate this double 2x4 and maybe substitute with 3/4 plywood or other???

Thanks, Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-09, 02:19 PM
Temporarily Suspended
May I suggest an accordion door instead? Otherwise, you can run into trouble depending in what's load bearing.

Old 08-31-09, 11:14 AM
Is the new door frame going to be in the exterior wall space? If the studs are backing for drywall only, no problem. Explain the exterior wall intersection again, please. If the door hole is all interior, with studs to the exterior partion, replace with ply.
Be safe, G

Old 08-31-09, 05:50 PM
Yes, a pocket door can be installed in an (interior) wall that has another wall intersecting it. An interior wall can not have an exterior wall intersecting it.

If it is what I think it is then the wall you want to put the pocket into is an exterior wall that continues into an interior wall and you can not put the pocket in the exterior part of the wall.

If the wall you want to put the pocket into is truly an interior wall you will need to do some investigating to see if you need a bearing header and a fair amount of framing even if you do not need a bearing header.

Bill

Old 09-12-09, 04:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Bill62 View Post
Yes, a pocket door can be installed in an (interior) wall that has another wall intersecting it. An interior wall can not have an exterior wall intersecting it.

If it is what I think it is then the wall you want to put the pocket into is an exterior wall that continues into an interior wall and you can not put the pocket in the exterior part of the wall.

If the wall you want to put the pocket into is truly an interior wall you will need to do some investigating to see if you need a bearing header and a fair amount of framing even if you do not need a bearing header.

Bill
Bill,
You are on the right track and it looks like I can't do what I want to do. Let me explain:
I want the door to slide to the right. If you're facing the right side of the door frame (looking into the proposed pocket), you will see on the right side is drywall (bedroom wall). The left side is exterior and is faced with stucco. So you are saying no pocket door in an exterior wall. I assume this is because you are losing studs where the pocket is??? And a new header above the pocket is not good enough???

Thanks, Brian
p.s. It took me a while to get back at this thread so if anyone can confirm this, thanks

Old 09-13-09, 05:44 PM
You could put the proper sized header in there but you will have no insulation.

Bill