1/2' subfloor safe?

Old 09-03-09, 07:45 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1/2' subfloor safe?

I have a 1960’s home with 3/4’ tongue and groove hardwood floors over 1/2’ plywood. 2x8 joists spaced 16 on center. Hardwood floors appear to be original.

Was this acceptable for this time period?
And is it safe to have a professional sand the hardwood floors given the 1/2’ plywood?

Old 09-03-09, 03:48 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

With the exception of poorly built sheds, I've never heard of anyone using 1/2" plywood for a subfloor. 5/8" is bare minimum and 3/4" is standard. But the oak should make it plenty stable. I wouldn't think sanding the floor a little will cause any problems.

Old 09-04-09, 03:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how did you determine the subflooring was only 1/2"? I agree with Marksr, that 3/4" is a minimum, and certainly not particle board. A product such as Advantech which is T&G and has an impregnation to resist water infiltration is best.

Old 09-04-09, 07:35 AM
I
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chandler
Just out of curiosity, how did you determine the subflooring was only 1/2"? I agree with Marksr, that 3/4" is a minimum, and certainly not particle board. A product such as Advantech which is T&G and has an impregnation to resist water infiltration is best.
There's a support column running through the floor so I have access to the subfloor. I guess a load bearing wall was ripped down at some point to open up the room.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: