Floor Joist Repair

Old 11-03-09, 07:10 PM
Floor Joist Repair

I recently had a 2x10 floor joist repaired by a local contractor (2 inch crack because of a knot). He applied way too much pressure and didn't recognize there was a wall overhead (not load bearing, but framed closet) which he put into compression. When he removed the floor jack, the wall above pushed back on the repaired (5 foot sister repair with wood glue and 1/2 inch carriage bolts) floor joist and immediately overstressed the floor joist and created several new lengthwise cracks (1/8 inch separation...can see light through the wood). Because of space, it appears near impossible to get a full length new joist for sistering. I'm struggling to come up with a solution. I've brainstormed several ideas, but am now investigating structural epoxies. Would an epoxy putty work to fill the cracks and bond the separated wood together? The cracks start at the top of the board (where it meets the subfloor) and travel roughly 6 feet to the end of the board. Given the crack would primarily be in compression, I thought epoxy could be an option. Suggestions appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-09, 09:51 PM
I think your joist is gone. "The cracks start at the top of the board (where it meets the subfloor) and travel roughly 6 feet to the end of the board. " You down-sized to to next smaller joist and may have lost that from the knot. I would remove his (if he won't) work and put a closer to full length sister using the same holes and bolts, along with added bolts at each end to take the load from the old one. It doesn't have to run full length, how close are we talking?
Other ideas: http://www.finehomebuilding.com/PDF/Free/021184090.pdf
Be safe, Gary

Old 11-04-09, 05:43 AM
A difficulty I have is that a heavy wood adhesive (liquid nails or similar) was used. The chances of me removing the 5 foot sister board is unlikely. Also, because the area is so congested, it will be very difficult to get a full piece splice in the area. It would most likely require the removal of hot air duct, water lines, toilet drain line, and electrical. I'd send a pic, but I'm not sure how to.