Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Notching joists for garage door opener

NH

11-10-09, 06:47 PM   #1  
Notching joists for garage door opener

Hello all! Question about joist integrity if I notch boards at bottom Ö.

I have a garage space in the house located just below a guest room on 2nf floor. The height of the garage ceiling is very low (I think about 7.5í) and there is no room at all to install a garage door opener. The track I have arcs the top of the door up to about 1/16Ē from the ceiling.

Iíve looked into a number of solutions to this and havenít found anything that works. I purchased some special door guide extenders, but they simply will not work properly with the door I have. I havenít found any suitable way to lower the track to provide the needed clearance.

So, Iím wondering if I can notch the bottom of my floor joists (ceiling of garage) to accommodate a garage door opener track. I donít have exact measurements yet, but I figure the notch would need to be at least 2Ē wide and 1Ē high. I believe the floor joists are 2x7. The span from the center of the house to exterior wall is about 12.5Ē. Standard 2-floor bi-level. Notch for the track would be about midpoint in the joist.

Would that be OK Ö or anyone have any better ideas for automating my no-clearance door? My current door operates via a rotating torsion spring. Tearing up my ceiling in there is not an issue as I'm working on other projects here to improve the space.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

OH

11-10-09, 07:22 PM   #2  
Check out the Chamberlin model 3800 jackshaft opener. Not cheap but mounts next to the door. No rail as you would normally visualize a GDO.

Notching the joists is bound to weaken them.

Woody

You can trust your car - and a whole lot more - to the man who wears a star.

WA

11-10-09, 08:24 PM   #3  
http://arch.umd.edu/Tech/Structural_..._Guide_A11.pdf
Be safe, Gary

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

11-11-09, 04:52 AM   #4  
I saw the Chamberlain on a garage once, not long ago. Man that thing is neat. Very little head space neededl. Definitely check into it. I don't see why all manufacturers don't make something similar to alleviate the chain and arm mechanism.

NH

11-14-09, 07:30 PM   #5  
That is a cool looking unit ... I was very excited until I found out that the torsion bar I have doesn't have the necessary points of attachment that this thing needs.

But thanks for the tip. I'll probably look around for a replacement torsion bar because I really do want some kind of garage door opener here.

Search this Thread