Notching joists for garage door opener

Old 11-10-09, 06:47 PM
Notching joists for garage door opener

Hello all! Question about joist integrity if I notch boards at bottom Ö.

I have a garage space in the house located just below a guest room on 2nf floor. The height of the garage ceiling is very low (I think about 7.5í) and there is no room at all to install a garage door opener. The track I have arcs the top of the door up to about 1/16Ē from the ceiling.

Iíve looked into a number of solutions to this and havenít found anything that works. I purchased some special door guide extenders, but they simply will not work properly with the door I have. I havenít found any suitable way to lower the track to provide the needed clearance.

So, Iím wondering if I can notch the bottom of my floor joists (ceiling of garage) to accommodate a garage door opener track. I donít have exact measurements yet, but I figure the notch would need to be at least 2Ē wide and 1Ē high. I believe the floor joists are 2x7. The span from the center of the house to exterior wall is about 12.5Ē. Standard 2-floor bi-level. Notch for the track would be about midpoint in the joist.

Would that be OK Ö or anyone have any better ideas for automating my no-clearance door? My current door operates via a rotating torsion spring. Tearing up my ceiling in there is not an issue as I'm working on other projects here to improve the space.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-09, 07:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Check out the Chamberlin model 3800 jackshaft opener. Not cheap but mounts next to the door. No rail as you would normally visualize a GDO.

Notching the joists is bound to weaken them.

Old 11-10-09, 08:24 PM
Old 11-11-09, 04:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I saw the Chamberlain on a garage once, not long ago. Man that thing is neat. Very little head space neededl. Definitely check into it. I don't see why all manufacturers don't make something similar to alleviate the chain and arm mechanism.

Old 11-14-09, 07:30 PM
That is a cool looking unit ... I was very excited until I found out that the torsion bar I have doesn't have the necessary points of attachment that this thing needs.

But thanks for the tip. I'll probably look around for a replacement torsion bar because I really do want some kind of garage door opener here.