Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

House with shed roof construction

11-19-09, 12:40 PM   #1  
House with shed roof construction

I'm building a 30'x30' wood-frame house with a shed roof. The attic is going to serve as a second story, essentially, and will have a couple of rooms (therefore, there will be some load-bearing walls). The roof slope is 0.4.

I am looking for ideas on how to frame the roof, i.e. what sort of beams or construction methods would be appropriate. This is located in an area where snow loads are not a major concern. Wall construction is with 2x6s.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

ME

11-19-09, 01:13 PM   #2  
Hi cdart, first, please forgive me, but I must ask, why 30x30 and why a flat roof. A box may look simple and therefore less expensive to build, but given the limitations of materials, there are other footprints that are easier to build and less expensive. And they will be more appealing to banks and future buyers.

So, give us some guidelines, like reducing construction costs, and we can try to make suggestions. If cost is not an object, then web trusses will easily span the 30' and only exterior walls will be load bearing. But there is a cost.

Here is a link to some house plans to give you something to chew on. House Plans and Home Plans | Search Thousands of House and Floor Plans at Dream Home Source

Bud

11-20-09, 06:46 AM   #3  
Thank you for the web truss recommendation. I will look into that.

I appreciate the input on advising a different house plan but I am already committed to this one, and am aware of such issues.

Although I would appreciate the most economical choice, it may not be practical with a small crew.

ME

11-20-09, 09:41 AM   #4  
If web trusses are within your budget, check your local suppliers, they open up a whole lot of options. All of that clear span below becomes available for any floor plan you wish.

The alternative to trusses would be a center support system running front to back or side to side as you wish. This would allow 2x12's to span the 15 ft space on each side. You should have some engineering for the dead load for a flat roof, but I'm not sure what your requirements are in your location.

You didn't state your foundation selection, but loading will have to carry all the way down, slab, crawl, or basement.

Now, if you are in the recycling mood, when they tear down an old shopping center, they remove the old steel web trusses. Not sure how good of a negotiator you are .

Good luck
Bud

11-21-09, 09:15 AM   #5  
Thanks for the ideas.

Are I-Joists not feasible?

Search this Thread