Replacing floor joist

Old 11-23-09, 05:34 PM
Replacing floor joist

This is the first question I've ever asked so I am sorry if it gets a little long. The floor joist in my Living Room are rotten and need to be replaced. The joists have already been sistered twice and there is a significant raise in the floor where the beam is underneath. However, While removing layers of flooring we uncovered wonderful looking hardwood floors that I don't want to tear up. We also discovered that they had closed up all the vents to the crawlspace so I am thinking that is one of many reasons they rotted in the first place. My question is, Is there any way to replace joist without tearing up the floor? I would appreciate any advice anyone has to offer.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-09, 06:02 PM
I don't quite understand what is wrong with the joists that have been sistered? Did they not do it properly? Are they rotten as well now? If the sistered joists are rotten, I would try removing those and putting new ones in. When this is done, make sure you address the moisture problem so the news don't rot again.

If you haven't already, look for into in the insulation forum. Someone posted a good article about crawlspaces and moisture.

Replacing all the joists completely seems like it will be very challenging. That floor is going to be secured to the just so you will have to cut those fasteners unless it is so rotten it will just fall off. Then you need to get that floor reattached to the new joist.