Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Keeping green wood from warping and spliting as it dries

12-07-09, 12:43 PM   #1  
Keeping green wood from warping and spliting as it dries

I am new to the forum and need your help. I am working on a crazy project. I need to glue seven 6x6x96 inch Douglass fir timbers together along their length to make a 38.5 x 96 in. SOLID wood rectangle. I am going to drill every 12 inches across and use 5/8 threaded rod to add extra holding power. Because it will be laying flat on concrete I plan to put it on a redwood plate to protect it from rot. The problem I am having is that the fir is green. What can I do to keep it from splitting and warping when It dries? Can it be done?

Thank you

Sponsored Links

NJ

12-07-09, 05:30 PM   #2  
It cannot be done. You can attempt to minimize end checks by coating them with wax.

I wouldn't do anything with it until it is dry. You may have trouble gluing it while it is still wet.

CT

12-08-09, 08:19 AM   #3  
I don't know your application or the exact design of the block you are constructing, but I see no reason why you can't prevent warping during the drying process.

Green lumber is used quite a bit in construction. The trick is to get it securely fastened before it warps/dries. If I were doing this I would use Gorilla glue and lots of clamps or blocking. The inside blocks could be nailed or screwed together to hold them securely.

NY

12-17-09, 11:11 AM   #4  
Posted By: Wayne Mitchell I don't know your application or the exact design of the block you are constructing, but I see no reason why you can't prevent warping during the drying process.

Green lumber is used quite a bit in construction. The trick is to get it securely fastened before it warps/dries. If I were doing this I would use Gorilla glue and lots of clamps or blocking. The inside blocks could be nailed or screwed together to hold them securely.
The gorilla glue will work fine with the moisture, for sure, but its working time is extremely short--no more than five minutes (less is ideal), so you'd have to be quick!

Search this Thread